by Barb, sitting in her lovely office in her house in Portland, Maine, (something that probably wouldn’t have happened without the Maine Crime Writers)
The time has come for me to say good-bye to Maine Crime Writers. It has been a wild ride!
According to Worpress my first post “My Maine Connection,” was on July 13, 2011. At the time, I only had one published novel, The Death of an Ambitious Woman. My connection to Maine was pretty tenuous. We had owned our former house in Boothbay Harbor since 2005 when we purchased it from my mother-in-law, but 2011 was the first summer I wasn’t working full-time and could spend the season in Maine.
Since then there have been
- 191 posts by me
- 1497 comments by me
a testament to my ability to go blithering on.
During the same period I have
- fully retired from corporate life and become a full-time writer
- started my Maine Clambake Mystery series
- had seven books and 3 novellas traditionally published in the series (with another novel coming out on New Year’s Eve)
- been nominated twice for an Agatha Award for Best Contemporary Novel, been a finalist twice and have once won the Maine Literary Award for Crime Fiction
- been the president of Sisters in Crime New England, the co-chair of the New England Crime Bake and served on the board of Sisters in Crime National
- started my Jane Darrowfield, Professional Busybody series and had one book published (with another coming out November 2020).
Far more important than any of these things, I have made so many friends in the deep, vibrant Maine crime writing community, and I have moved to Maine. The latter definitely wouldn’t have happened without the former. I will always be so deeply grateful to the Maine Crime Writers for all the connections and friendships.
The manuscript for the second Jane Darrowfield mystery is due January 15, and the ninth Maine Clambake Mystery is due February 15. As you can imagine, I’m a bit underwater. So I am saying so long, but not farewell. Kate Flora, our founder and schedule-wrangler, has invited me to return to guest, and I fully intend to take her up on it.
If you’re looking for me, I’m around. You can write to firstname.lastname@example.org, or find me on social media:
- Website: www.maineclambakemysteries.com
- Twitter: @barbross
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/barbaraannross
- Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/barbaraannross
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/maineclambake
In the meantime, I hope everyone has the best fall ever, the most glorious time of year in New England.