Saying Good-Bye to Maine Crime Writers

by Barb, sitting in her lovely office in her house in Portland, Maine, (something that probably wouldn’t have happened without the Maine Crime Writers)

The time has come for me to say good-bye to Maine Crime Writers. It has been a wild ride!

According to Worpress my first post “My Maine Connection,” was on July 13, 2011. At the time, I only had one published novel, The Death of an Ambitious Woman. My connection to Maine was pretty tenuous. We had owned our former house in Boothbay Harbor since 2005 when we purchased it from my mother-in-law, but 2011 was the first summer I wasn’t working full-time and could spend the season in Maine.

Since then there have been

• 191 posts by me
  • 1497 comments by me

a testament to my ability to go blithering on.

During the same period I have

• fully retired from corporate life and become a full-time writer
  • started my Maine Clambake Mystery series
  • had seven books and 3 novellas traditionally published in the series (with another novel coming out on New Year’s Eve)
  • been nominated twice for an Agatha Award for Best Contemporary Novel, been a finalist twice and have once won the Maine Literary Award for Crime Fiction
  • been the president of Sisters in Crime New England, the co-chair of the New England Crime Bake and served on the board of Sisters in Crime National
  • started my Jane Darrowfield, Professional Busybody series and had one book published (with another coming out November 2020).

Far more important than any of these things, I have made so many friends in the deep, vibrant Maine crime writing community, and I have moved to Maine. The latter definitely wouldn’t have happened without the former. I will always be so deeply grateful to the Maine Crime Writers for all the connections and friendships.

The manuscript for the second Jane Darrowfield mystery is due January 15, and the ninth Maine Clambake Mystery is due February 15. As you can imagine, I’m a bit underwater. So I am saying so long, but not farewell. Kate Flora, our founder and schedule-wrangler, has invited me to return to guest, and I fully intend to take her up on it.

If you’re looking for me, I’m around. You can write to barbaraross@maineclambakemysteries.com, or find me on social media:

In the meantime, I hope everyone has the best fall ever, the most glorious time of year in New England.

About Barbara Ross

Barbara Ross is the author of seven Maine Clambake Mysteries. The eighth one, Sealed Off, will released in December 2019. Her novellas featuring Julia Snowden are included along with stories by Leslie Meier and Lee Hollis in the anthologies Eggnog Murder, Yule Log Murder, and Haunted House Murder. Jane Darrowfield, Professional Busybody, first in a new mystery series, was released in June, 2019. You can visit Barbara's website at http://www.maineclambakemysteries.com.
This entry was posted in Barb's Posts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Saying Good-Bye to Maine Crime Writers

1. Reine says:

I’ve always enjoyed your posts, Barb. I think you were one of the first authors I “followed.”

2. Thanks for you4 wit and wisdom,Barb. Write on!

3. Susie Brownell says:

You will be missed for sure, but I look forward to your guest appearances.

4. Jerry Lenaz says:

You’ll be missed. Do guest often.

5. Hey, Barb. Most things are not forever. However much we love something, sometimes we have to let them go. Very nice you can pop in here on occasion. Best to you in the future. Sounds like you will be super busy with those deadlines. 🙂

6. Cheryl Worcester says:

I think I discovered you through Maine Crime Writers…and you were definitely one of the first authors I followed. I’ll miss you on here but am glad we’ll have your book series to keep us company.

7. Pingback: Saying Good-Bye to Maine Crime Writers — Maine Crime Writers – Three Rivers Novelties

8. Anonymous says:

Ha ha, Barb. No one ever really leaves us. Thanks for all you’ve done and we look forward to your updates as your crazy schedule allows.

Kate

9. Maureen Milliken says:

oooh noooooo! Glad you’re not going far! Thanks for all the support — I think it was you who first got me on the blog. 🙂 I’ll miss reading your posts.

10. We will miss your voice on this blog, my friend. It always is such a pleasure to know what you are thinking/doing, and to see Bill’s photos, too. Thank you for all of your terrific posts and good energy over the years. And the tech help, too!

11. Jerry Lenaz says:

Say “so long”, “see ya”…but not “good-bye”..too permanent for such a dynamic person. You’ll be missed so do “guest” often.

12. Janet Anderson-Murch says:

Thank you for sharing and helping inspire me as a writer. Much success and happiness to you.

13. Barbara Ross says:

And much success and happiness to you, Janet!