10 Best Things about Dying Soon

Lea Wait, here. And, for anyone who missed it, June 29  I posted https://mainecrimewriters.com/2018/06/29/another-change-in-direction/

that I’d been diagnosed with metastatic pancreatic cancer.   Since then I’ve learned a lot — about myself and about others. And no, it hasn’t all been negative. So — here’s a short  list of some of the “good stuff.”

1 – I’ve heard from friends and family all over the United States, and memories — good memories — are flooding my mind.

2 –  A year ago I was worried because my financial adviser said I only had enough money to last eight years. Now? No problem! Champagne days, if I’m in the mood!

3 – Someone else will have to worry about my 2018 taxes.

4 – CNN still depresses me, but I’ve convinced myself the world will get better after I leave it. (I hope no connection!)

5 – People arrive unexpectedly with flowers and/or food.  It’s a party!

6 – Deadlines? Who’s  worried about deadlines. Except for maybe THE DEADLINE.

7. Medical marijuana is legal.

8. Handicapped parking makes it a lot easier to find a space in  summer parking lots in Maine.

9. No more long beauty parlor appointments. My hair is eliminating itself.

10. Prayer shawls, angels, books, cards … every mail delivery is like a birthday!

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and prayers and encouragement and kind questions and comments.

And — onward! There’s still some life to be lived.

About Lea Wait

I write mysteries - the Mainely Needlepoint, Shadows Antique Print and, coming in June of 2018, the Maine Murder mysteries (under the name Cornelia Kidd.) When I was single I was an adoption advocate and adopted my four daughters. Now my mysteries and novels for young people are about people searching for love, acceptance, and a place to call home. My website is http://www.leawait.com To be on my mailing list, send me a note at leawait@roadrunner.com
This entry was posted in Lea's Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to 10 Best Things about Dying Soon

1. bangorgirl says:

Lea, May God bless you and your amazingly positive attitude. Hugs to you always! Cheryl

2. Marilyn Lugner says:

What a fabulous list! Thank you so much for sharing it.

Liked by 1 person

3. People are good. Thank you for sharing your journey.

4. Calla Wells says:

Oh, how glad and grateful I am for you…for your life, and most of all your courage! You are a treasure t my soul! ♥️

5. Reine Carter says:

Love you. I’ll miss you.

Liked by 1 person

6. You are the bravest, most eloquent and positive soul I have ever met. Blessings, Lea. May it go easily for you.

Liked by 2 people

7. Thank you for the positive message and inspiration to everyone, in the face of what you’re going through. Your being and your energy will long continue to resonate near and far.

8. Andrea Bodo says:

such an interesting prism to view life through. You are forever the glass is half full….. Your life has touched so many (mine included)…with reality and humor. I too hope that your remaining time may go easily for you and you still have the strength to hang on to the positives. xo

9. Anonymous says:

Lea ,your spirit and outlook on life is remarkable. Number 1 memories hit home. God bless you, keep the faith.

Liked by 1 person

10. You are so brave and clear-eyed. Such an inspiration.

11. Patricia Letourneau Henderson says:

Thank you for continuing to inspire and motivate me! I say again, how lucky was I that day in a cramped bookstore many years ago when a woman continually blocked me from getting to the shelf I wanted, so I was forced to grab a book from the “W” authors’ section?!?!

Liked by 1 person

May your journey be cushioned with feathers from angel wings.

13. hpl04943 says:

I’ll be working like crazy to make #4 a reality. You’ve always been a bright spot in my day when I see you. John Clark

• Julianne Spreng says:

I agree, John. It’s too easy now a days to yell at the radio and get wigged out about the upside down world we’ve got right now. Thanks, Lea, for the perspective adjustment.

14. Katie Scattergood says:

I will be raising my glass,here’s to Lea

15. Triss Stein says:

Wrapping you in warmest wishes.

Liked by 1 person

16. If we all had your grace and courage, the world would be a better place. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Liked by 2 people

17. Mary Anne Tomlinson Sullivan says:

You are such a courageous, kind, and giving soul and I pray that you know how dearly you are admired & loved by so many. Thank goodness for your gift of writing books we’ll cherish until our final days. It’s not fair to the world to lose your great soul so soon but I suppose Bob wants your company. Take care of yourself and I hope you can enjoy each day you have.

Liked by 1 person

18. Bless you. Embrace your joys.

19. Cynthia Baldwin says:

I’ve spent many long hours living through your wonderful, imaginative stories. May your beautiful mind and spirit travel from this world, into the Heavens to be with Him, the most famous story teller of all creation. Love and hugs.

20. Judith Stoy says:

Lifting you up to the light. Blessings on you and your precious family.

21. Laura Cooper says:

Cheers to the good stuff! Thank you for sharing. You are amazing 🙂

22. Vicki Lane says:

Blessings to you — you’re an inspiration!

Liked by 1 person

23. Thank you for writing this post. Dealing with a lot of issues and suddenly, they are no more than a gnat buzzing in my ear. Peace be with you.

24. cindy282 says:

God Bless you, you are brave. I am sending hugs and will light a candle for you.

25. susanoleksiw says:

Lea, you courage is joy, and you have given all of us a boost of courage. I admired you from the first moment I met you, in Martha’s Vineyard at Cynthia’s house. You are truly the class act.

26. susanvaughan says:

Lea, you are amazing, such courage and bright spirit. Hugs.

27. Claudia Wiley says:

As a long-time reader and fan of your work, I am saddened to read your post…but…as you journey on in the spirit of positivity, bringing moments of light & shutting out the darkness, May God continue to bless you with insights and to cover you, and those who love you, with His unexplainable Love and Comfort. Happy trails, Lea Waite….you are well-loved, by those you know and those you don’t…

28. Frank O Smith says:

Thank you for the generosity of your spirit to share with us what the mind brings sharply into focus. I hold you in the light. Blessings on you.

29. Shirley Garvin says:

Lea,You are such an inspiration to all of us who love your books. I wish I could have met you in person.Even tho I usually get my books from the library,I am going to buy one of your books so I can treasure it all the rest of my days . Prayers for you,Lea.🙏 May God give you peace in your spirit.Hugs to you from me.❤️

30. Connie wood says:

I remember you from the Bernardsville church. Just finished Death and a Pot of Chowder and was looking forward to new books in the series.
    Sorry to hear the news.

31. Kaye George says:

May your remaining days be filled with the things that really matter. A toast to a brave, witty woman.

32. quoe2 says:

Girl, I want to be just like you! Go out with a bang! ❤

Liked by 1 person

33. When contemplating my own inevitable death sentence, I’ve often considered the same advantages. But then I had a brush with mortality recently and I bawled like a weak little baby. So I have extra super duper admiration for your sublime bravery.
    Here’s a little terminal cancer story about irony:
    Recently, Tim, a lovely man from our small Vermont town, decided to stop all chemo and quit doctors’ visits. Faced with a terminal illness, his attitude was, why the depressing updates? So, he proceeded to live his life outside of hospitals, still wondering, of course, why him. Then he had an epiphany while walking down the sidewalks of Montpelier – we are all in sinking canoes. Every one of us. For some of us, the water is up to our necks. For others, the hips. And for quite a few, the water is higher than they realize.
    Tim died this winter. Not in an ICU or hospice, but in his kitchen in a freak accident that had absolutely nothing to do with his cancer. Swift and painless.
    I hope and pray I have your strength and perspective when the time comes. Who knows how high that water really is. Bless you and thank you so much for sharing.

34. Anonymous says:

Prayers for you and I am truly touched by your positive attitude. By the way, I love your books.

35. Gretchen says:

Thank you for this brave, brave post. I’ve been enjoying your books, and am heartened by the woman writing them. Enjoy the champagne!

36. Betty Webb says:

You’ve got class, woman!

37. Lisa says:

You are a beautiful writer, and clearly, a beautiful person. I’ve been reading your past posts as well and wish you strength and love on your journey.

38. Anonymous says:

Wow,
    Incredible!

39. Kay Bennett says:

What a wonderful post. All of your writings, either in books or posts are always great, but this one is over the top enlightening. While I am so very sorry for your diagnosis, I am so very happy to see you are living every moment as if it could be your last. You give me hope and make me smile. Enjoy that money, leave your worries behind and of course medical marijuana is legal. My prayers and thoughts are continuing for you

Liked by 1 person

40. Lea, you are a true inspiration. Wishing you a safe, calm, and peaceful passage, and all the joy you can hold while still among us.

41. Polly Iyer says:

I hope every day brings you something positive to help you through this journey. My best to you.

42. Joy Jamison says:

Now here’s a great attitude. You helped me put my arthritis into prospective.
    Godspeed.

43. Jay Grossman says:

Hi, Lea.

Your message tells me you still are the bright, ebullient woman you were nearly 50 years ago when we met at WE.

I wish you a peaceful, graceful passing with (as always) your friends’ love and affection.

44. cleasimon says:

Lea, your spirit and courage are amazing. Sending you all the light and love. I’m so glad we’ve gotten to spend some time together, even if just on the occasional SinC panel, over the years. Clea

45. Cheers to you! I’m a mystery book buff all my life but been out of touch with reading for several years as life took over. Saw a post by Naomi Hirahara on you and I’m going right out to buy your books and enjoy some good mystery!!! Thanks…. Wendy Anderson

46. Dru says:

Love you Lea.

47. Donis Casey says:

blessings on you, Lea.

48. Lea, I’m so sorry to hear this news, but in awe of your grace and wisdom. Sending support.

49. Sylvia says:

Blessings and prayers to you! Your star shines bright.