“When Storage Units Are Abandoned”

I admit it. I’m a fan of Storage Wars. But since watching that show falls into the category of “entertainment” rather than “research” I never paid too much attention to the construction of the storage units themselves until I had occasion to wonder if I could use one for a scene in the current work in progress. What a good place to look for a clue, I thought. Perhaps a photo, or a letter someone wrote and forgot about, hidden away in one cardboard box among many.

On television, the buyers on Storage Wars and its clones don’t get to go into the lockers until they’ve won them at auction. A person renting one, of course, can go in and out as often as he or she likes, leaving things off and taking other things out. I know. I know. I should just go visit a facility, but it’s Sunday, it’s hot out, and I have an iPad on my lap. I figured I’d try finding answers online first.

I wondered if there were lights in storage lockers. What if someone wanted to get something out at night? I assumed there wouldn’t be windows, since the storage units are supposed to be secure, but do some units have access other than by way of one of those big overhead doors? If it would work, I’d like to have my characters enter through a smaller, regular door beside the big one and find a light switch just inside. Alas, a little browsing among the “images” on Google was enough to show me that what I was looking for isn’t likely to exist. There are tons of photos of storage units and storage facilities online, and webpages galore. They all look pretty much the same, differing only in size, rental fee, and level of security.

You know how doing research on the Internet is. One thing leads to another. As a crime writer, I was curious to see if there had been any further developments in a 2011 case I’d heard about, the discovery, here in Maine, of human remains in an unplugged freezer unit inside a storage locker. It’s quite a story. The victim disappeared in 1983. Her on-and-off boyfriend was questioned but never arrested. In 1992 he rented a 10X10 storage unit. Nineteen years later, after he died, his family was cleaning out the unit, which was filled “front to back and top to bottom” with boxes full of household items, and made their gruesome discovery. The freezer was removed by the state police with the remains still inside. Later, the “body parts” were then sent to Pennsylvania for DNA testing and, to no one’s surprise, turned out to be what was left of the girlfriend. Charming!

If you’re thinking “What a great place to hide the body!” then wait. There’s more.

I continued to scroll through Google entries, looking for any other updates on the story. Lo and behold, other storage unit finds started to pop up. There were some fairly fresh remains that started to smell and alerted the owner of the storage facility. And the case of the homeless mother and her two little boys who lived in a New Jersey storage locker for over five months. No dead bodies there, thank goodness. And then there was the woman who was stored, in her coffin, in a Florida storage unit in 1995. The woman’s daughter, on her deathbed in 2008, confessed to her own daughter that Grandma hadn’t ever been buried. Authorities were said to be checking to make sure the mother wasn’t also stored somewhere.

The saddest tale, although wonderfully evocative for those intrigued by unsolved mysteries, is that of a discovery in 2007 in a storage unit in Del Ray Beach, Florida. The locker was rented by a retired couple in 1996. After they died, their heirs were notified that the rent was overdue and the contents would be sold at auction. They traveled to Florida to take a look and found it full of furniture and housewares. Inside a larger suitcase was a small suitcase and inside the small suitcase, wrapped in newspapers from 1959, were the partially mummified remains of a baby boy!

I stopped doing “research” at that point. After all, I write humorous cozies. But there does seem to be one unanswered question that both the 2007 and the 2011 cases have in common: where was the body between the apparent date of death and the date, years later, when that storage locker was rented?

This entry was posted in Kaitlyn's Posts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to “When Storage Units Are Abandoned”

1. Deanna says:

Gruesome….

2. Jonathan Quist says:

I haven’t got a clue for the infant boy, but as for Grandma…

I think she was managing the business office for the family motel, along with her son, Norman.

When we moved from Newton, MA to Somerville, MA we gut renovated. We got all our appliances (for two units) on a really good sale, but naturally construction was behind. We rented a storage unit.

My husband was doing an errand in the neighborhood one day and found the building where our stuff was stored surrounded by cop cars and blocked off by crime scene tape.

It turns out a woman had confessed to her children on her deathbed that their father was stored in a freezer in the storage unit. http://articles.latimes.com/2004/nov/20/local/me-deathbed20. He’d been in the freezer for 13 years and had actually been shipped from California to the unit in Massachusetts.

This story has always fascinated me and not just because it touched us a little. I’ve always wanted to write it from the point of view of one of their kids.

Oh–and one other thing I meant to say. A skillion years ago when I was a litigation paralegal I spent hundreds of hours going through documents in storage units. I learned there are all types. Climate-controlled, with lights, without lights. Some are the classic type you found on the web, Kaitlyn, but others are in no longer used armories and other buildings. I think you can do what you want with your storage unit, as long as you make it believable!

5. Ruth McCarty says:

I’ve watched Storage Wars a few times and I too thought it was a good place to hide a body. We recently moved and stored some of our things at a facility. They actually shrink-wrap all the furniture. Hmmm, shink-wrapped body?

6. Thanks for the great comments everyone.They’ve sparked all kinds of new ideas.

Kathy/Kaitlyn

7. Marilyn says:

I, too, love Storage Wars and have had the same thoughts you have had. I keep secretly hoping they’ll find a body on one of those shows! Unfortunately, when they do find a lot of papers, they generally just toss them out. It’s a shame because they could easily contain all kinds of confessions and answers to all sorts of things. And the clothes they toss! So much DNA lost there. How about the story where the owner of a 100+ year old house discovered several infant skeletons in the house’s crawl space? You’ve given me some great ideas to chew on for my own murder mysteries down the road.

8. All great fodder for my muse, thanks! I admit, also, to being mortified about stories like the girlfriend one – that poor woman. And to not be discovered for so many years… that gets my mind thinking revenge ghosts and zombies.

So, Kaitlyn, did you ever settle on an storage unit scene for your story? 🙂

9. Just to update everyone, I’m taking Barb’s advice on designing the layout of the storage unit and I think I know what Liss finds there, but there are one or two new ideas tumbling around in my head, so who knows what will happen during the next revision!

K